Toe-Up Socks - The Best Thing Since Blue Toe Nail Polish

I have ventured into the world of toe-up socks. This has changed my life. Okay, so maybe it only changed the knitting part of my life but still... this way of knitting socks is so easy and fast!

For those of you who are non-knitters, traditional socks are knit from the cuff down to the toe. I've knit two pairs of socks this way(socks #1, socks #2) . I enjoyed knitting socks this way but there are many, many steps to turning a heel the traditional way. Though each step is pretty easy, it takes thought and concentration. The toe also took concentration and don't even get me starting on grafting the toe. There's a way to close up the toe opening that makes it look like the opening was never there. The blasted thing is called the Kitchener Stitch. I have tried this so many times and each time it never quite works out. Another disadvantage to the traditional sock is that you can't use up every bit of yarn. You have to guess at how long to make the cuff so that you'll end up with enough yarn to finish the toe. Socks without a toe... kinda pointless.

So, enter toe-up socks. At the suggestion of my Aunt Linda, I read Wendy Knits book with a pattern for toe-up socks. (Warning: Knitting terminology ahead) I decided after the first sock knit Wendy's way that I didn't like the wraps at each short-row turn because it was tricky and also created holes along the edge.Thanks to the internet, I found a much easier way to do the short-row heel and toe. I find it much easier to turn without wrapping, then while increasing, knit/purl two together and then make a stitch. I found this youtube video that helped me figure it out. Thank goodness for youtube. Oh, I also cast on differently then Wendy. I followed this youtube video to do the crochet cast on straight onto the knitting needle.

There are definite advantages to starting at the toe and working your way up. First, there are no toe openings to graft together. The cool way of doing a short-row heel means that they're seamless. Second, there are FAR fewer steps to creating the toe and heel. I can do a toe or heel in 15 minutes or so where a traditional heel can take me hours. Third, with a toe-up sock, you can knit until your yarn runs out (as long as you have the same amount of yarn set aside for the second sock) or until the cuff is as high as you like it since you already have the body of the sock knit. And the final reason why I think toe-up socks are the best thing since blue toe nail polish is that they're EASY! I don't have to look at a pattern. I jot down a few notes about how long the recipient's foot is and how many stitches I'm casting on. That's it. After one pair, I know how to knit these socks without looking at a pattern. This means that sock knitting is now almost mindless...a good thing if you like to knit while watching TV or a movie.

Okay, so enough talk... let's see the socks!

The first pair of toe-up socks was for Jon. He likes tall socks so I had to use more yarn then usual.

The yarn is Lion Brand "Magic Stripes", blue/brown pattern color 205. It's a self striping yarn so all I do is knit and it makes the pattern and stripes all by itself! I cast on 64 stitches and used size 2 needles.
Jon loves them and showed them off to the other teachers at school. Gotta love a man who appreciates hand knit socks.
After I finished Jon's socks, Evan asked, "Momma, you knit me some socks?" Sure thing, Buddy! I had plenty of yarn leftover from Jon's socks so Evan has a pair that matches Dada's.
He put them on as soon as he woke up since they had to dry overnight after being washed the first time.


He loves them. He wore them to school and showed them to his teacher. Hmm... like father, like son! Again, lucky to have guys that appreciate knit socks.
The socks are a little big but luckily he's growing like a weed.
Toe-up socks... so great. Who knew?