Peas and Cherries

Before we went on our trip to PA earlier this month, I picked my shelling peas and the overgrown sugar snap peas. I could have gotten more shelling peas if the weather hadn't gotten so hot but they gave up after a week full of 90* temperatures. I love shelling peas but I get a lot more for my time and money by growing sugar snaps since you can eat the whole pod. Next year I'll only grow sugar snaps.
My sad little harvest yielded 2 family sized servings of peas- blanched and put in the freezer. I can't imagine the garden space I'd have to devote to peas just to get enough to fill our freezer for the year.

After I was done shelling peas, I started pitting the 12 pounds of cherries I bought on sale for $1.99/lb. It took me 2 hours to pit them all. They filled my largest bowl. In the freezer I put 2- 2 cup bags of whole cherries and 7 - 2cup bags of pureed cherries that I'll make into jam when I have the time. I wish I had more whole cherries frozen. Next year I'll have to buy a few more. I love cherries in my oatmeal.